This post has been updated (on 2016/11/20) to reflect recent changes (version 0.3.2)

I got a few emails from people asking how to use the original Photobox Downloader. The initial idea of the app was to provide a clean API to allow people to interact with their Photobox account, however it seems that people just want a quick and easy to download their photos! With the new V2 version, you can much easier download your photos, no editing of files needed!

Installation & Usage

$ npm install -g photobox-downloader
$ mkdir albums
$ pbdl

The new version will now prompt you for the 4 required items:

1. The domain that your photos are on (www.photobox.ie, www.photobox.co.uk, etc…)
  2. The Authentication cookie value (see below for more detailed instructions)
  3. The directory where to store the files (this directory must exist already!)
  4. Whether to skip files, if they already exist inside the above folder (for resuming interrupted downloads)

photobox-downloader-v2

Once you enter this info it will immediately start downloading all your photos.

How to get authentication cookie value?

When you log into your account on Photobox, Photobox sets an authentication cookie, first step is to log into your Photobox account, open the Developer Toolbar (press F12), goto the “Application” tab (Chrome), expand the “Cookies” drop down. Click on the base domain (e.g. https://www.photobox.ie), copy the value of the cookie called “pbx_www_photobox_ie” (the last part, “_ie”, will change depending on your domain).

get_cookie

Further instructions on the GitHub Photobox Download project page.

15 Comments » for Download all your Photobox Photos
  1. Simon says:

Hi,

I’m trying to use your script and I’m getting an error message,

:Photobox domain: (www.photobox.ie)
    :Authentication Cookie: ” ”
    :Folder where to save albums: (albums) pbox
    Logged into Photobox!
    Starting to download all albums and photos
    Processing album: Android Uploads
    stream.js:94
    throw er; // Unhandled stream error in pipe.
    ^
    Error: ENOENT, open ‘C:\Users\Si\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downl
    oader\pbox\Android Uploads\10491173_10152244074163155_7133761898347436108_n.jpg?
    oh=151404c7889a8aa26915df386254c5f3&oe=565276E8.jpg’
    at Error (native)

C:\Users\Si

Not sure what is happening, if you could help me i’d be extremely grateful

• Robert says:

Hi Simon, I’ll contact you via email to help sort you out. But I noticed a pretty obvious bug, I’ll push an update to npm register later to fix it.

2. Chris says:

Hi I am trying to use the script as well. I seem to get through all steps, so for example I state photobox.co.uk and my authentication cookie. It seems like it can log on ok. However when it attempts to download the files on the very first album it has an error and after same error for all files in album it halts and doesn’t attempt any others.

[Error: Invalid URI “DSC_0043”]

Any help would be appreciated. Bound to be doing something wrong.

3. sean says:

Nice one! Just discovered some pics on Potobox that I didn’t have and googled before trying manual downloads. Works like a charm.

4. Luca says:

Hi Robert great work. Is it possble to download a specific abum?

• Robert says:

Hi, Yes you can download a specific album as well, the docs have an example:

var albums = photoBox.getAlbumList();

photoBox.downloadAlbum(
      {
      album : albums[0], // download first album
      outputDir : __dirname + '/out',
      showProgress : true
      },
      function (err) {
      if (err) {
      console.log('ERROR! Something went wrong downloading album!');
      console.log(err);
      } else {
      console.log('Album has been downloaded to the outputDir');
      }
      }
      );

More detailed info: https://github.com/RobK/photobox-downloader#downloadalbumoptions-callback

5. Jon Horton says:

Hi Robert,

Do you have a program I can download as I am unable to enter the coding as described

• Robert says:

Hi Jon,

Don’t have a single app/executable you can download (although that might be a good idea…). It is fairly easy to install/get running, basically just need to have NodeJS installed (https://nodejs.org/en/download/ ) then run “npm i photobox-downloader” and finally run “pbdl”.

Cheers,
      Robert

6. Yorick says:

Hi Robert

I’ve installed this using npm as instructed above, but when I try “pb-dl”, I get “-bash: pb-dl: command not found”.

I’m wondering if it’s because I’m on a Mac.

Thanks
    Yorick

• Robert says:

Hi Yorick,

I made some pretty big changes to the tool in September, including renaming the executable, try running “pbdl” now instead. I’ll update this post with the new info.

Cheers,
      Robert

7. bren collins says:

Hi I am getting this error;

Logged into Photobox!
    Starting to download all albums and photos to: C:\Windows\System32\albums
    Processing album: 15-11/2015
    fs.js:854
    return binding.mkdir(pathModule._makeLong(path),
    ^

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, mkdir ‘C:\Windows\System32\albums\15-11\2015’
    at Object.fs.mkdirSync (fs.js:854:18)
    at Object.downloadPagePhotos (C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\lib\photobox.js:170:12)
    at C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\lib\photobox.js:296:20
    at C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\node_modules\async\dist\async.js:3047:20
    at replenish (C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\node_modules\async\dist\async.js:884:21)
    at C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\node_modules\async\dist\async.js:888:13
    at eachLimit$1 (C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\node_modules\async\dist\async.js:3136:26)
    at Object. (C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\node_modules\async\dist\async.js:920:20)
    at C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\lib\photobox.js:291:17
    at Request._callback (C:\Users\Brendan\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\photobox-downloader\lib\photobox.js:257:13)

C:\Windows\System32>

• Robert says:

The issue is that you are running the application inside the Windows/System32/ folder, applications need elevated permissions to do that.

Try:
      – Switch to the root (enter in the Command Prompt window): cd \
      – Create a new folder: mkdir pb-photos
      – Enter the folder: cd pb-photos
      – Run the tool again: pbdl

8. Paul says:

I’ve installed it and it came up with npm WARN deprecated node-uuid@1.4.7: use uuid module instead.
    The I put in mkdir albums and it said:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>mkdir albums
    A subdirectory or file albums already exists.

• Robert says:

The warning you see is caused by a deprecated dependency in a sub-module, you can safely ignore.

The issue you are having is caused because you are trying to run the app in the c:\windows\System32 folder. This is a special folder, instead change to some other folder

cd \